I’ve been getting relaxers ever since I was 11 years old. I decided to go natural in 2013, the year before my high school graduation and transition until June 1, 2014, I began my big chop by dyeing my hair burgundy then proceeded to cut off my relaxed ends. The color wasn’t bright enough for me so then two weeks later, I dyed my hair again. Yes, AGAIN! I did NOT care! If it was up to me, I would’ve re-dyed it that same day. So I proceeded on my natural journey for the next 2 years; straightening and re-dying my hair countless times over. I would co-wash (conditioner- only wash) my hair every single day to achieve the perfect wash and go then use the blow dryer to stretch the roots to get the illusion of length. I was doing so much damaging stuff to my hair. My hair remained at around 7 inches after 3 years of growing out my relaxer and barely any products worked for my EXTREMELY damaged hair. February 2016, I did box braids to go to Orlando for an internship. I left it in for 4 months, my hair literally dreaded (locked together, knotted) underneath my braids. Removing the braids and trying to detangle my hair was one of the most painful experiences I’ve ever encounter, LMAOOO, I’m sooooo serious though. Every time I combed out a knot, the hair RE-KNOTTED! Boy, I almost chopped this shit off.
I should’ve done that, I should’ve. But instead I relaxed it again. I had soft manageable hair for a while, I was so happy but my hair was still breaking. Like if i touched it, even barely, the sink would be plagued with broken off hair strands. It was sickening. My once thick hair, was thin and brittle and dry. I joined the ‘wave’ and bought a whole tub of coconut oil and coconut oil infused shit that did not work, at all. It made my hair even drier. -_______-
I was doing twist outs ever single night so I really didn’t see the point of being relaxed. After that, I didn’t relax my hair again. I’ve been transitioning ever since.
My last relaxer was 1 year and 1 month ago. I plan on big chopping (cutting off all of my relaxed ends) in December 2017 and I do plan on dyeing my hair burgundy AGAIN. I just need a change, something new. I love to experiment and at the end of the day, it is just hair!
I am currently wearing box braids and will continue to do so until December 2017. I will dye my hair raspberry, big chops and start my natural hair all over again, with these new tips:
- Finding products that genuinely work for my hair type and not following a trend or what works for other people.
- Limiting the use of heat to once ever 3 months.
- Using COLOR protection specific products.
- Deep conditioning weekly.
- Shampooing only once every month with a sulfate-free and moisturizing shampoo.
- Co-washing once a week instead of once a day.
- Choosing a regimen and sticking to it.
- Buying 1 of each product and not buy a whole bunch of stuff I DO NOT NEED!
- Low manipulation styles until I reach my desired length.
- Moisturize every other day instead of every day.
- LCO Method (liquid, cream, oil)
- Avoid coconut and olive oil like the plague.
- Live an overall healthy lifestyle. (taking multivitamins, eating right, etc.)